Kumudini Hospital established by Roy Bahadur ranadaprasad
saha in 1938 at mirzapur
(Tangail) on the bank of the river Louhajang, is a charitable institution
providing health services to the poor and rural population. The hospital
was inaugurated on 27 July 1944 by the governor of Bengal Lord RG Casey.
At the beginning, the number of beds in the hospital was only 20, which
has now risen to 750, making it one of the largest private hospitals in
At present, the hospital serves more than 400 patients a day.
In addition to taking care of general patients, it provides family
planning services and regular check up services for the pregnant
women. It also has facilities for childbirth and maternal and
child healthcare, a gynecology unit and special units for treatment
of diarrhea and tuberculosis.
Kumudini Hospital, Mirzapur
Unlike most private hospitals in the country, Kumudini
Hospital employs its doctors as full-time staff and has a large team of
nurses who are graduates of its own nursing school that conducts 4-year
nursing education and training courses.
The introduction of the 50-bed TB unit at the hospital
in 1970 was a significant event because at that time, little was known
in the country about the treatment of this killing disease, the only other
TB hospital of the country was at Dhaka, and in rural areas, the usual
practice was to avoid all contacts with a TB patient, who only waited
for inevitable death. Before the construction of a separate ward in the
hospital, the TB ward was a floating one set on covered boats on the river.
Kumudini Hospital does not make any discrimination in
giving treatment to patients of different socio-religious groups. There
is no 'cabin' system and everybody is given treatment with equal importance
under uniform physical facilities. Based on the hospital, a medical college
named Kumudini Medical College was established in 2000.